Thursday, August 14, 2014

Top 40 @ 40

I'm FORTY today.  
  I'm of a certain age to remember Casey Kasem countin' down the hits on Sunday mornings, starting at 40 until we reached the top. Now poor Casey sits somewhere, no one really knows for sure, dead as a doornail and really the subject of his own eternal Long Distance Dedication. (seriously, the man's been dead for months now and only his nutso wife knows where the body is. Google it, or don't) As I hit 40 today I started thinking about making a list of the 40 most influential pieces of pop culture in my 4 decades. I'm sure I missed some things, please point them out. If you have some of your own, I'd love to hear them.  There's no particular ranking, but my very favorite things are near the top.
1) LOST-easliy my favorite show, really ruined TV for me ever since
2) The Dark Knight Returns-graphic novel by Frank Miller
3) The iPhone and portable music
4) Star Wars-the original 3, which I still call 1 through 3, and you will never convince me the other 3 are worth a tin shit
5) Pearl Jam-they came around at just the right time for me, fan forever
6)Stephen King- Favorites: The Stand, IT, 11/22/63, Bag of Bones
7) The Howard Stern Show- roll your eyes if you will, but the man is funny and much smarter than farts and boobs
8) Guns n Roses-my wife just cringed
9)The Dark Knight trilogy of movies- as superhero movies get more and more cartoonish, this trilogy took it very seriously and I love that
10) Harry Potter books- all of them but they really began to amaze from The Goblet of Fire on 
11) September 11th-forgive me, it's not really pop culture but it was the most important news story of my life so far and it unbelievably happened on live TV. I still watch replays of the coverage every year, I still get angry and sad every year.
12)Hoosiers- greatest sports movie ever! If you don't think so, you're shucking corn. "I love you guys."
13) Jimmy Buffet- the music and the mentality
14) March Madness
15)The Shawshank Redemption-maybe my favorite movie ending
16) A Christmas Story-run a single movie 24 hours straight on Christmas day? I'm in, as long as it's this one. Ralphie's dad is my guru
17) A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
18)The Beatles-seems like a no-brainer, their catalog of hit songs is insane
19)Scent of a Woman-first Al Pacino movie on the list, not the last
20) the Kindle
21)Steven Spielberg-favorites: Close Encounters, ET, Jaws
22)Muse
23) Live concerts from age 16-25  Favorites: Pearl Jam, Lyle Lovett, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins
24) Harry Potter movies, from Goblet of Fire to the end
25) Monday Night Football
26) The Watchmen graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
27) The Shield- great gritty show from beginning to end. The best series finale I've ever seen
28) Trainspotting
29)Lyle Lovett-my wife and I danced to a Lyle song at our wedding
30)OK Computer by Radiohead-one great disc, but maybe the death of rock n roll
31)Heat-second Al Pacino movie on the list, not the last
32)Drive-Ryan Gosling in maybe the "coolest" movie I've ever seen
33)Rammerjammeryellowhammer by Warren St John- I read this book about the tailgate culture in the SEC EVERY Fall to get me in the mood for football season. It is so great, you can smell the beer and barbecue.
34) Disasters on TV- the space shuttle disasters, Indonesian tsunami, 9-11
35) U2
36) Babel- Mumford and Sons
37)Dr Steve Brule and Fire Marshall Bill on YouTube- laughs, guaranteed 
38) Glengarry Glen Ross-ok, THAT's the last Pacino movie on the list
39)Twitter
40) Spongebob Squarepants- bow down to one of the VERY few kids shows that is ok for adults too

1 comment:

  1. No comments yet? Seriously? Where do I start?
    I cringe at ALL your music tastes - barring The Beatles and Lyle Lovett.
    I agree with your Star Wars movie commentary. 1-3 are 1-3 and will ever shall be.
    Drive is overrated.
    I will put the SEC book on my Nook - never heard of it before now but seems like a must-read for someone living in that conference.
    Spongebob - no. Just no.

    ReplyDelete